ADOPTED BY THE CONFERENCE
6. Declaration on the establishment of a policy planning and early
The Conference agrees that:
1. A policy planning and early warning unit shall be established in
the General Secretariat of the Council under the responsibility of its
Secretary-General, High Representative for the CFSP. Appropriate cooperation
shall be established with the Commission in order to ensure full coherence
with the Union's external economic and development policies.
2. The tasks of the unit shall include the following:
(a) monitoring and analysing developments in areas relevant to the CFSP;
(b) providing assessments of the Union's foreign and security policy interests
and ident- ifying areas where the CFSP could focus in future;
(c) providing timely assessments and early warning of events or situations
which may have significant repercussions for the Union's foreign and security
policy, including potential political crises;
(d) producing, at the request of either the Council or the Presidency or
on its own initiative, argued policy options papers to be presented under
the responsibility of the Presidency as a contribution to policy formulation
in the Council, and which may contain analyses, recommendations and strategies
for the CFSP.
3. The unit shall consist of personnel drawn from the General Secretariat,
the Member States, the Commission and the WEU.
4. Any Member State or the Commission may make suggestions to the unit
for work to be undertaken.
5. Member States and the Commission shall assist the policy planning process
by providing, to the fullest extent possible, relevant information, including